Re: using modem with phone

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:17:45PM +0000, Bhasker C V wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I tried to google around but could not even get a match near to what i
> want. In fact i am running short of terminologies to exactly define what
> i want.
>
>  What i want is, i want to use the internal modem of a system to work
> as a PSTN gateway so that i can control my telephone when connected to
> my modem. This way, i can make my telephone ring through my software. I
> can re-route my audio in/out to the phone. Is this possible ? does the
> modem protocol support this ?

A standard modem will not do what you want.  Look up Asterisk
(http://www.asterisk.org).  I think you will find this software
is what you are looking for, and there are some hardware suggestions
on the site too.

Pat
--

Patrick Ouellette                 pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO