IBM thinkpad A22 serial ports and debian

I have installed Debian on my Thinkpad A22. Seems to be working fine except for the wireless. I also have Wine installed as I want to run an executable program that downloads a file to an FTA receiver via the serial port. Do I need to 'turn on' the serial port under Linux or would it already be operational? I keep getting a Fail message when ever I try to download the bin. The FTA receiver is set to receive files via the serial port. Turning the receiver off and on and setting the unit to receive via the serial port doesn't make any difference.

Hopefully some one can help.

John