Re: aptitude: searching for a short package name that is a common substring

Magnus Therning wrote, on 2009-02-06 21:57:
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Arthur Marsh
<arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:
Hi, I was wanting to install midnight commander and realised that the search
function in aptitude wasn't helping me much as the string "mc" appears in
lots of package names. (I used apt-get to install mc).

How does one get some text in the search box in aptitude to match the start
of line or end of line of the package name, or alternatively, search by
description?

The search in aptitude is a regular expression with some extensions,
use ^ to match beginning and $ to match end.

/M

Thanks, my regular expression knowledge would fit on a postage stamp.

Arthur.