Re: A question about /etc/profile (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I added the following lines to /etc/profile:
>>
>> export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>> export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>> export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>

> How can I get the same result *without* putting that stuff in
> /etc/profile?  I mean, if I put that in /etc/profile, those commands
> are run at every boot, wheraes I want to run them at my pleasure.  If
> I simply give them from command line:
>
>  # export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>  # export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>  # export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
>
> they don't seem to take any effect.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

It's always better to use im-switch, with which you can set the
configuration file shipped with scim to be loaded on X startup:

# apt-get install im-switch

By default, /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim has the highest priority, which
sets {GTK,QT}_IM_MODULE to xim.  You can manually change that by:

$ im-switch -s scim-immodule

Where scim-immodule provides what you want.  Note you can run the
command above as your default user, which will create a symlink in your
~/.xinput.d that has the same effect.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Deng Xiyue