Re: rereading/reloading keyboard layout files without relogging in?

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 23:07:08 -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand which file(s) you want to modify and in what way.

> Consider the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/fr. I am looking for a way to
> reload this files after I modify it in some way. In other words, if I
> modify the file, I want to avoid logging out and then loggin in again to
> have the modifications take effect.

Now I understand; I forgot that these files used to be in that
directory. (They are in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols on my computer.)

I can switch layouts with setxkbmap while the X server is running,
therefore I would expect that it is possible to reload a symbols file

setxkbmap -layout fr

It may be necessary that you also have to specify "-variant ..." and
"-options ..." at the same time. If that does not work then I would try
to switch to another layout briefly and then back to the French one.

If you only have to change a few key definitions then it might be more
convenient to use xmodmap from the command line or ~/.xmodmaprc at every
startup of X.

          Florian   |