Re: A question about /etc/profile (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure what you mean by 'more effects'. You can get the effect of
> /etc/profile on a per user basis by adding commands to ~/.bash_profile (for
> bash shells), ~/.profile (for most shells), ~/.xsession for X sessions - I
> *think* this should be read by xdm/kdm/gdm and therefore work with any
> desktop environment, but I'm not exactly sure how it's handled.  The one
> thing you can't do (so far as I know) is set variables for your whole session
> *after* logging in.

We're talking about details, now the problem of scim working with oowriter
seems to be solved.

Anyway: putting those `export' commands in /etc/profile has the advantage that
I can put chinese characters also in the command line, with `C-space'.  The
disadvantage is that scim is automatically started every time I start the
Terminal application, even if I don't want to use scim.  The Terminal is slowed
down when starting.

On the other hand, running those three commands from command line has the
advantage that I start scim only when necessary; but then it seems that I lose
the possibility of using scim to input characters in the shell.

I don't know if it's clear...

Bye
Rodolfo