Re: Trying to replace my router with a Debian machine - but I can't understand my existing setup

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Emanoil Kotsev <deloptes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> they could be configured to take the mac address and obtain the ip ... same
> mac, same IP ?? do you think its possible. check

This is an interesting point.
I've just managed to get the connection to work by re-entering the connection
details in the modem (without changing anything) and restarting it. I suspect
that it may have learned the MAC address of the router it was connected to
and been continuing to attempt to bridge the connection to that device.
Restarting would then have given it the opportunity to detect that it's
connected to a different device.

So it turns out that the config of my new machine I'd set up was fine after all,
and I just needed to restart the modem. Tch. Why didn't I try that in the first
place?

Thanks,
Nye