Re: Modem and NIC Gateway

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Zanga Chimombo <z.chimombo@admarc.co.mw> wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> It needs to modify the Iface 172.21.0.1.
>
> i'm not sure how. any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
>> Preferably when you actually create the link in wvdial.
>
> my ISP uses DHCP so the local IP, gateway and DNSs are being assigned
> automatically. i did the minimum of configuration for the modem (Phone,
> Username and Password) but i'm utterly clueless as to how wvdial modifies
> the routing table...

You shouldn't need to set a gateway in order to ping 172.21.0.1 because
you should have a direct connection to it. Your initial routing table
looks like it should work so I'd suspect another problem. That said, the
final line isn't right if you want to contact the outside world.
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U         0 0          0 ppp0
should be:
0.0.0.0         172.21.0.1      0.0.0.0         U         0 0          0 ppp0

I believe the command to set that up would be
'route add default gw 172.21.0.1 dev ppp0'.

You said you can connect fine using ppp alone - what does the routing
table look like then?

Nye