Re: xen domU read only filesystem

Steve Kemp wrote:
On Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 11:10:21 -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

OK. That was stupid of me not to look at /etc/fstab.

  Ignoring the error message was an oversight, but not a stupid one.

But, why are xen-tools creating a read only domU file system by default in the first place?

  The default xen-tools installation creates *ext3* filesystems by
 default.  Since your post mentioned reiserfs you were no longer
 using the default.

  There are options to handle the different filesystem mount
 options.  You can see those in /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf:

   $ grep _options /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf
So, you're telling me that if someone uses ext3 they will get a default file system that's read/write, but if they choose any other available file system it will be read only by default even though xen-tools.conf doesn't list ro only as an option for mounting them? xen-tools.conf tells me if I use reiserfs xen will use reiserfs defaults to mount it. Since when is reiserfs a read only file system by default? I'm not meaning to pick at you, just understand what's going on. I do appreciate your hard work in creating xen-tools. It's just hard to wrap my head around everything about Xen in one go, and I'm someone who has to understand what's going on before I get comfortable with things.
Why create an install that is, for all practical purposes, useless by default? I just don't understand.

  I don't believe the configuration is broken by default.
I don't know enough to even begin to suggest that it is.
  I also don't believe any that any "default" can be reasonable
 for all users when it comes to virtualization - if only because
 people have different ideas about networks, filesystems, and
 packages.

  (ObDisclaimer: I wrote xen-tools.)
I wondered about this when I saw the xen-tools author's name. Thanks for your hard work.
Steve