altering iceweasel print settings

This seems quite out of control now.  I have a lenny box with iceweasel
3.0.5
[Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; it; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008122011
Iceweasel/3.0.5 (Debian-3.0.5-1)]

The page setup dialog has no margin settings, only the choice of printer,
papersize and orientation.  Changing the papersize has no effect and it
reverts every time to the non-standard american letter size.  I've tried
with about:config which starts with a bizarre announcement about voiding
warranty and then offers what looks like a solution, with several different
margin settings.  With these, some change can be made -- I can get an A4
page from easyjet to print on the preview on one page, for example.  However
these also reset themselves as soon as you actually send anything to the
printer.

Is this a buggy release or just an antifeature?

richard