how to set LANG=en_US required to make mrxvt display some characters properly?

I have observed that mrxvt doesn't work properly with en_IN. In man
pages, the quotes, etc. appear like a with a caret on top and boxes. I
was suggested to change my LANG variable to en_US and it worked. The
quotes started appearing like quotes in the man pages with this
variable set to en_US. I have two questions:

1. Is there a better way to solve this?

2. If I have to set LANG=en_US, I would like to know the configuration
file where I can set it once and it will be applied to my Debian
whenever I boot it. I tried changing /etc/environment to en_US, but
whenever I reboot, the shell variable LANG is again found as en_IN
even though /etc/environment remain as en_US. (Yes, I know I can set
it in /etc/profile but I am thinking that there might be a
configuration file or a better place to put this setting)