Audio on Lenny becomes chirps, then loses human voices?

So on my Lenny system, I was playing a couple movies using xine-ui.

And in mid-video, the sound track was replaced by little irritating chirps.

Stopping xine and restarting doesn't help.  Even a video that was just
playing right now comes out with little chirps.  And so does every video,
played with mplayer, xine, totem, or vlc.

And audio tracks played with audacious have audible music, but only the
barest trace of any spoken words?

What on earth could CAUSE that?

Well, I'm off to reboot.
--