Re: I don't need an MTA

Martin Kraus wrote:
On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 08:34:46AM -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 01/31/2009 09:24 PM, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
[snip]
main concern. I guess having an MTA is a side-effect of the whole
client/server thing; prejucide or not it's an opinion.
That's Windows-think to say whether a *computer* s a client or server. Such a mindset needs to be banished to get full use out of your machine.

In the Unix world, *applications* are client or server. The Operating System itself is fully capable of running both client and server apps at the same time.

No, whether a machine is a client or a server existed long before either Windows or Unix existed. It is Linux users who are trying to redefine terms used that way for over 40 years.

actually terms client and server do not correspond to computers but to
applications running on those computers. server is a program(usually daemon) providing a service to a client application. referring to a computer as a
server just means that it is a computer expected to run server applications to
provide services to client applications. it doesn't mean that you can't run a
web browser on a server computer. and therefore it doesn't mean you can't run
a server application on your notebook, think about syslog, print server etc.

mk

I never said server machines can't run client applications. But the term "server" has always referred to machines who's main purpose is to provide services to other machines (clients).

As I said - it has been that way for the more than 40 years I've been involved in computers - dating way back to arpanet and before. And it's Linux users who are attempting to redefine the term to what they want it to mean.