Re: update-alternatives: how do i get a listing of the names of all link groups?

Paul E Condon wrote:
There are several command options to update alternative that require
that the user supply a name or a specific link group.  'link group' is
a term of art for which there is much discussion in the man page, but
I don't see instructions for merely listing all the legitimate current
values of the names -- sort of a pick list from which I can choose a
string that will result in a symantically correct invocation of
update-alternatives.
How do I list the names of existing link groups?

  I'm interested in an answer to this, too.  I've been using

    ls  /etc/alternatives

Dave W.