Re: I don't need an MTA

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 03:21:24PM +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Back to exim, if i have X i have x11-common (and i also have avahi)
> therefore i apaprently must have lsb, which i believe is a metapackage
> for lsb-* (i have base, core, cxx, etc installed). So apaprently i
> can't just remove the MTA. However, following John Hasler's suggestion
> i tried removing exim just to see:
>
> $ apt-get remove exim4
> [...]
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   exim4
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 70 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 73.7kB disk space will be freed.

Of couse.... if you are using lenny or etch, exim4 is :

 Exim (v4) is a mail transport agent. exim4 is the metapackage depending on the
 essential components for a basic exim4 installation.

This means you can remove it :-)  (Suggestion was right one for sarge, I guess.)

To kill REAL exim4, kill one of these on your system:
  exim4-daemon-light
  exim4-daemon-heavy
  exim4-daemon-custom

This explains why.

> >> Oddly enough running grep exim * on /var/log only returns matches in
> >> the popularity contest, but not in dmesg.
>
> Osamu Aoki:
> > I do not get what you are at?
>
> I assumed dmesg would have some reference to exim, hence the grep.
> dmesg |grep xim returned nil as well.

dmesg is kernel activity... so no wonder.

> > Your problem was DNS look up.  Please address the real problem but do not kill the messanger :-)
> Yeah i oughta look into that and i think it lies with the router, but
> that would be another post. I don't wanna kill it, just fire it ;)

Are you conected via wifi?  Then your system's network may not be available
when exim4 was started.

> For now i'll stick with Florian Kulzer's suggestion of reducing DNS,
> since that's the main issue for me (slow booting).

Smart move :-)