Re: I don't need an MTA

I don't consider myself windows-centric. I've been using Debian at
home since Woody and even though i'm not afraid of the command prompt
i don't consider myself a power-user either (i'll get there). The
point being yes, i know what clients and servers are and agree with
Martin Kraus' definition, which applies also to any other OS btw.

The original question wasn't cultural but technical though. :)

Anyone running X is running a server even though a "desktop machine"
is usualy not a "server machine". Same for CUPS and i'll soon install
nginx on my desktop to fiddle around with php. Apache is too big...
but maybe i'll install it as well, it's used a lot... oh and mysql and
sqlite, the latter not being a server though. I have nginx+sqlite in
another debian machine, a regular "desktop machine" acting as a
"server machine", but it has a noisy fan and it's kinda sluggish; and
my desktop is more than capable of handling the load.

Back to the original subject...

The way i see it, most "regular users" either use webmail, or an MUA
to conenct to webmail accounts. Technicaly speaking, i think there
should be a way to configure mail-dependant programs to either use an
MTA or use a regular syslog or similar, and let the admin decide how
s/he wants to keep track. Granted exim isn't doing much on my system
and is small, i'm picky and i don't like having packages i don't
use/need. I'm allergic to gnome et-all for the same reasons.

Back to exim, if i have X i have x11-common (and i also have avahi)
therefore i apaprently must have lsb, which i believe is a metapackage
for lsb-* (i have base, core, cxx, etc installed). So apaprently i
can't just remove the MTA. However, following John Hasler's suggestion
i tried removing exim just to see:

$ apt-get remove exim4
[...]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  exim4
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 70 not upgraded.
After this operation, 73.7kB disk space will be freed.

Didn't Y it (and got the same results for purge), but what exactly to
i have depending on it after all?

>> Oddly enough running grep exim * on /var/log only returns matches in
>> the popularity contest, but not in dmesg.

Osamu Aoki:
> I do not get what you are at?

I assumed dmesg would have some reference to exim, hence the grep.
dmesg |grep xim returned nil as well.

> Your problem was DNS look up.  Please address the real problem but do not kill the messanger :-)
Yeah i oughta look into that and i think it lies with the router, but
that would be another post. I don't wanna kill it, just fire it ;)

For now i'll stick with Florian Kulzer's suggestion of reducing DNS,
since that's the main issue for me (slow booting).

Thanks for the input :)
Nuno Magalhães