Re: I don't need an MTA

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 09:58:01PM +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I use webmail, i'm not running a mail server. At most i'd use an MUA
> to comunicate with whichever mail services i use. However, i must have
> exim4 installed. How can i work around this? Regardless of how much
> resources it requires i find it irritating. The real nudge is having
> "Starting MTA: " lagging by boot by half a minute or so.

It is well known problem which you can avoid by reconfiguring exim4.

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

When asked:
Keep number of DNS-queries minimal (Dial-on-Demand)?

Answer "YES" if you are not connected to insternet when booting.

> Oddly enough running grep exim * on /var/log only returns matches in
> the popularity contest, but not in dmesg.

I do not get what you are at?

> Can i have a regular desktop Debian without an MTA?

Anything is possible ... but I recommend you not to do this.  It is not
worth your effort.

Your problem was DNS look up.  Please address the real problem but do
not kill the messanger :-)

Osamu