X11 keyboard behaving strangely since update

Hi all,

I'm happily running Debian GNU/Linux unstable on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad
T60 (and on all my other machines as well).

Yesterday I did an update with the notebook in question (the last
update was early in January).

Since the update the keyboard in X11 has gone weird. Every second key
press under X11 is recognized as if the Ctrl key was pressed, i.e.
every second 'm' is a newline, every second 'd' is a Ctrl-D, every
second 'c' a Ctrl-C, ... you get the idea.

Keyboard on the console and when logged in via ssh from a machine with
another X server is behaving correctly.

The only suspicious package in the update list I see, could be the
update of xkb-data from 1.4-1 to 1.5-1. But of course I can provide you
with the complete update list.

I have configured the xorg.conf in the "kbd" section to use layout
"pc105", language "de" and option "nodeadkeys", but I already tried
changing those options and restarting the X11 server which however
didn't make any difference.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Greetings,
Stefan