usb hard drive diagnosis

I'm a bit concerned about the health status of my usb based hard disk
backup. One of my recent backups (rsync) prematurely exited with I/O
errors in syslog. I fsck'ed the drive, fixing some 2000 errors like

/-------------
Free inodes count wrong for group #1535 (11199, counted=11196).
Fix? yes

Directories count wrong for group #1535 (416, counted=419).
Fix? yes
\-------------

and bitmap differences.

I did a new backup to the drive and it seems everything went fine. I
also checked some of the data on the disk with git-fsck for consistency.

What concerns me a bit is that after each backup, when I force a new
fsck, I get this:

/-------------
e13-v15:~# e2fsck -f /dev/disk/by-label/maxtor
e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 3A: Optimizing directories
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

maxtor: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
maxtor: 5059092/61063168 files (0.7% non-contiguous), 97098262/122096000
blocks
\-------------

(the filesystem was modified line). I don't recall seeing this line too
often in the past.
Does this indicate problems with the disk?

Unfortunately, smartmontools won't work with usb and I hesitate to break
the warranty seal to mount the disk directly.

Are there any other tools to check the health status of a usb disk?

Is fsck.ext3's badblocks option (-c) useful for usb disks or is it
somehow inefficiently interfering with the usb transmission and/or the
disk's internal controller?

Thanks for helping to make me sleep better ;-)

Cheers,

Johannes

NB: The disk contains several hundred GB of data and each backup is
created with hard linking to the previous one.