Re: Which FS for USB Flash Drive

elijah rutschman wrote:
 > I've done something like this and it worked pretty well with
etch-and-a-half several months ago.  I just used ext2 as the
filesystem for simplicity and haven't had any issues thus far.  I have
heard that flash storage these days sustains enough write cycles to
outlive the average hard drive.  I have no science to back this claim
up, but since flash drives are relatively cheap these days, I haven't
been overly concerned about it.

I have been hearing the same thing about flash, but---how do you know which kind of flash chips were used in your device? Old, or new?

You may wish to use Compact Flash for speed. It uses the IDE PATA interface. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

You may wish to use several devices. One for boot/root, one for swap, and one for /home.

Speaking of device wear, ext3 and other journaled file systems do lots more reading and writing. ext2 may be moderately less wearing on the device.

Mark Allums