Re: [OT] Handy functions for ripping movies

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:07:43PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/26/2009 05:40 PM, Alex Samad wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:40:28AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While ripping a bunch of (legal!) DVDs, I came up with these bash
>>> functions to make the task simpler.  Hope you find it useful someday.
>>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> wouldn't actually say you are ripping, more coping
>
> Ripping is pulling audio/video off of CD/DVD.  Has nothing to do with
> compression.
>
>> I use something like this BITRATE=${BITRATE:-1000}
>>

>> # New from readnig the web page!
>
> Which page?
oops bad copy/paste - mainly from mplayer site

>> PASSCOMMON='subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:frameref=3:b_pyramid:me=umh:bframes=4:weight_b:nopsnr:threads=auto:brdo:trellis=1:level_idc=41
>> :direct_pred=auto:bime'
>>

>> PASS1='pass=1:turbo=1'
>> PASS2='pass=2'
>>
>> ENC1="x264 -x264encopts $PASS1:$PASSCOMMON:bitrate=$BITRATE"
>> ENC2="x264 -x264encopts $PASS2:$PASSCOMMON:bitrate=$BITRATE"
>
> How tightly does this compress?
>
> (Disks are cheap enough that, while I do want *some* compression, I will
> "spend" space for quality.  This is so that if I ever want/need to burn
> them to DVD in the future, they will still look good.)

depends I find 1000kb is pretty good to dvd quaity

>> # setup Video filtering
>> CROP=${CROP:-"crop=720:416:0:80"}
>
> Why?

bad copy paste, I need to crop for that job, somebody had encoded with
black bars

>> FILTERCOMMN=${FILTERCOMMN:-'harddup'}
>> FILTER1=${FILTER1:-"$CROP,$FILTERCOMMN"}
>> FILTER2=${FILTER2:-"$CROP,$FILTERCOMMN"}
>>
>> OUTF="$OUTD/$BASE.avi"
>> PASSLOG="$BASE.divx2pass.log"
>>

>> echo "Pass 1"
>> nice mencoder -quiet \
>>         -vf $FILTER1 \
>>         -ovc $ENC1 \
>>         -oac "$OAC" $OACOPT \
>>         -passlogfile "$PASSLOG" \
>>         -o /dev/null \
>>         "$INF" $ADDOPT $AID $DVDDEVICE $OFPS
>>
>> echo "Pass 2"
>> nice mencoder -quiet \
>>         -vf $FILTER2 \
>>         $AENC \
>>         -ovc $ENC2 \
>>         -passlogfile "$PASSLOG" \
>>         -oac "$OAC" $OACOPT \
>>         -o "$TMPF" \
>>         "$INF" $ADDOPT $AID $DVDDEVICE $OFPS
>>
>> takes more time,
>
> dumpstream, though, is *fast*.

yeah, but you could also use vobcopy and make a backup of the dvd, thus
keep multi tracks and subtitles ...

>>                   but uses a lot less space
>
> But how much information do you lose?  With dumpstream, you lose none.
> Gives me a chance then to go back and experiment with differing
> compression levels.
>
> I will, though, try these, once I rip all my disks.

I have found there are really any set values to use, try some and see
how it goes depends on the movie you started with.  But from what I have
seen/read 2 pass encoding is the way to go if you are worried about size