Re: Postfix config

On Sun January 25 2009, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > I'm just setting up postfix and trying to get email from my new dyndns
> > account.
>
> In other words: you want to be able to receive mail for your DynDNS
> domain on your local system? That is probably a bad idea, since every
> time your public IP address changes, mail can get lost. I really advise
> against this.

that's what Dyndns does, it gives me a static hostname  for my dynamic IP..
see dyndns.org

> > Technical details of temporary failure:
> > The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more
> > at http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=7720
> > [paulandcilla.homelinux.org (1): Connection timed out]
>
> You have to do two things: make port 25 on the machine running Postfix
> be visible from the internet. You probably have to make your router do
> port forwarding. Then you have to configure Postfix to accept mail from
> the outside. Beware not to create an "open relay", otherwise your system
> will become a gateway for spam in no time.

Doh! yup.. I had to do that for my web site and for ssh.. That will probably
do it. I was thinking it was a Postfix config issue, but you are probably
right, it will end up being a port issue.
thanks!

> But I still think that's a bad idea. If you want to run your own
> mailserver, think about spending a few dollars a month for a linux
> server with a static IP address. That's what I do.

This is just a practice setup for me. I will eventually run my own mailserver
for my domain.. but first, before I screw up the mail for my domain, I'll
play with this dyndns domain.
and lots of dyndns services are FREE..

--
Paul Cartwright