Re: portaudio2/device busy?

Hi,

I stopped pulseaudio.
BTW: This did not work "/etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop"
I had to use 'kill'.

And 'espeaks' works!

****
Could you see my other thread - problem with my
other computer's sound system.
"Re: sound card not detected"
   You seem an audio expert!
****

Thanks a lot!
tamas

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Saturday 24 January 2009 07:06, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use espeak (text to voice application).
I got error the error messages below.

It was reported that several years ago it was a segmentation fault of
portaudio19 (segmentation fault if device is busy; espeak uses
libportaudio2). Later on the same messages are emitted I get. But I can
not find any solution for this (I goggled). Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
tamas

espeak "this is a test"
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)

Hi Tamas.

I've just installed espeak on my Lenny install, and it plays the "this is a test" with no problems. Mind you the sound card on the machine that Lenny's installed on, is an audigy2 soundblaster, which is capable of playing multiple audio streams.

Which sound card do you have? cat /proc/asound/cards should give enough of an indication.

If you're using Gnome, it may be worth shutting down ESD in Gnomes sound settings, or if using KDE, like me, shut down the aRts sound server, then try the espeak test line again. It could be that portaudio is having a problem, if another soundserver is running, and with a card not capable of playing multiple audio streams.

I've also just installed it on another machine with an hda intel card, on both Etch, with the aRts soundserver running on KDE, and Kubuntu Intrepid, and both play the test ok.

Which kernel are you using on Lenny? uname -r
Which alsa driver version? cat /proc/asound/version

Anything else using the sound when you run the espeak test, which may be stopping you hearing sound?
lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp
lsof | grep /dev/snd

Did you install espeak, and it's deps from the Lenny repo, or from a source tarball?

I assume that the sounds are working, apart from espeak.

You no doubt are, but verify you are a member of /etc/group/audio, if there are general sound problems as user.

Can't think of much else at the moment.

Nigel.