Re: [medium OT]

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 05:34:12PM +0100, Listas wrote:

> I am looking for a system to web version control, for ASP web. From
> this, I am looking for the best solution in Windows, Debian... but I
> need the server of version control. My web is in ASP and a web needs a
> lot of test, how could I install a version control server to commit
> changes and then test with a web browser ? The server should be on the
> same machine where is the web server ? Could I use a Debian server and
> then copy the files when I am doing a commit ?

As for the version control system: the younger and far more capable
systeer of CVS is Subversion (SVN). Like CVS, Subversion sticks with the
same model of a central server that holds everything, and from which you
check out a local working copy that has the parts you want to look at
right now.

Subversion is at this point mature and well-integrated into third-party
tools.

A whole different approach is "distributed version contorl systems". In
those systems every local copy contains the whole repository.

I assume that your workflow is relatively simple: minimal branching (if
at all). An occasional tag. If so, "distributed" version control systems
might actually simplify things: no need to define a separate version
control server. The whole history is here.

If you're actually working with someone else and merging changes, then
what I wrote above may not really apply, and refer to the general flames
on this subject.

BTW: if you work with svn: apt-get install trac. While debatable as a
bug tracker, it has a really nice SVN browser. An alternative SVN
browser is git/git-svn, once you get to know it ;-)