Re: Exim4 with a Goddady account

Well, I'm fairly certain I have Exim4 4.69 working after a bit of
tweaking.  For reference, I received ideas from the following links:

http://fixunix.com/1028851-post24.html
http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

The first link gave some good advice on setting up Exim with debconf,
although I didn't *exactly* follow his advice, opting for the split
files configuration.  I also found that the edits he mentioned did not
need to be made as the latest Exim4 package in Sid had them
uncommented.

The second link gave me the final piece of the puzzle which was to add
"@localhost" to the /etc/email-addresses file.

I did NOT need to edit any of the Exim4 config files under
/etc/exim4/conf.d to make this work.  The GoDaddy SMTP host requires a
username (email address of the account) and a password sent in plain
text with no apparent encryption and specifies that port 80 be used for
the connection (most likely to get around an ISP blocking port 25).

Here are my config files in the hope that they help someone else.

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
# This is a Debian specific file

dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='n0nb.us'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='smtp.starfieldtech.com::80'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='true'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

# /etc/exim4/passwd.client
# Example:
### target.mail.server.example:login:password

smtp.starfieldtech.com:n0nb@n0nb.us:pass-word

# This is /etc/email-addresses. It is part of the exim package
username@localhost: n0nb@n0nb.us

A note about the above files.  It is crucial that the actual hostname
of the SMTP server be supplied to /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and
/etc/exim4/passwd.client or else it won't work.  To get this DNS name I
used the `host smtpout.secureserver.net' command:

$ host smtpout.secureserver.net
smtpout.secureserver.net        CNAME   smtp.starfieldtech.com
smtp.starfieldtech.com  A       64.202.165.58

Note also that /etc/email-addresses is used to map the local computer's
login name to the email address hosted by GoDaddy.  Things did not work
for me until I added the @localhost.

Finally, to force the use of the clear text "authentication", I added
the file /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/000_localmacros which per the
README.Debian file needs to be loaded before any macros are read.  It
is simple containing a single line:

AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS=true

That is the complete configuration needed to get Exim4 working with the
GoDaddy SMTP server on my computer.  If you can read this, I guess I
was successful.  :-)

- Nate >>