Re: [locales] change date/time display format for german locale in lenny like it has been on etch

Am Montag, 19. Januar 2009 11:09, schrieb bugtracker@slideomania.com:

> Hi list,

Hi myself,

> I recently noticed (took a while of head-scratching like "WTF? Something is
> very weird here, but what is it?") that after the upgrade from etch to
> lenny, the default display format for date/time when doing a "ls -al" for
> the german locale unfortunately changed from
>
> etch: »31.12.2008 12:34« to
> lenny: »13. Dez 12:34« and (IMO abdominable...!):
> lenny: »13. Dez 2006« (for older entries)

silly me. Seems like I've been *very* confused this morning. The claim that
for etch with German locales the date display format would be like above
simply isn't true at all. My apologies, dunno how this came to my mind -
perhaps a DOS console clawed it's way up from the abyss... Now for some
reality checks.

I'm comparing the date display format ($ ls -l) for some locales between etch
and lenny (using etch at home and lenny at work; beeing at home right now, so
can check for etch; lenny output from memory, which is hopefully serving
right this time).

LC_TIME=    | etch             | lenny
de_DE.UTF-8 | 2007-01-19 21:32 | Jan 19 2007
en_DK.UTF-8 | 2007-01-19 21:32 | Jan 19 2007
en_US.UTF-8 | 2007-01-19 21:32 | 2007-01-19 21:32
POSIX       | Jan 19 2007      | Jan 19 2007
C           | Jan 19 2007      | Jan 19 2007

My state of confusion started this morning, when I was confronted with a
POSIX/C style date format using the German locales on lenny. As you can see
from the table, in lenny suddenly some locales seem to have changed from ISO
8601 style to POSIX/C style. Is this intentional behaviour, or something that
should be reported as a bug? Again, I consider POSIX/C style to be horrible.

Just for reference, [1] claims that "The locale support for the international
date standard of yyyy-mm-dd (ISO 8601 date format) is provided by the locale
called en_DK, "English in Denmark", which is a bit of joke :-)".

Well, either this *is* a bug in the locales package (well, hope so), or the
joke from Debian reference needs an update.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html
    see "9.7.6 ISO 8601 date format locale"

Again, I'm very sorry for any confusion I might have caused.
hk47