Re: essential packages getting deleted when switching to testing libc6

On 01/15/09 03:34, Stephen Dewey wrote:
Ok. I am OK with moving to Lenny. Would it then be OK for me to simply
upgrade to Lenny via the below?

apt-get update
apt-get -t stable upgrade
apt-get -t stable dist-upgrade
apt-get -t testing upgrade
apt-get -t testing dist-upgrade

(I am getting this from
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html   - I
assume based on my reading of the apt_preferences 5 man page that this
will move me in the correct order.)
You'll have to modify your sources.list first, replacing "etch" or "stable"
with "lenny".

Ok. I did this and I have been able to move to the testing
distribution. Unfortuantely, I encountered an error when running
dist-upgrade on that distribution. I got a pop-up box that states,

"You are currently upgrading udev to a version that is not compatible
with the currently running kernel. You MUST install a compatible
kernel version (2.6.18 or newer) before upgrading, otherwise the
system may become UNUSABLE. Packages with a name starting with
"linux-image-2.6-" provide a kernel image usable with this new udev
version."

I ran uname -r and got my kernel version as "2.6.16.29-xen", but
dist-upgrade doesn't look like it will upgrade the kernel version for
me.

Also, now when I run apt-get dist-upgrade, I am seeing "75 not fully
installed or removed." because the last install stopped on the udev
problem... how can I keep this from being a problem?

Try:
# apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.