Re: Etch and unstable Belkin wireless problem

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>> # PCI device 0x10ec:0x8139 (8139too)
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:c0:9f:45:a6:0f", NAME="eth0"
>>
>> # PCI device 0x1814:0x0201 (rt2500)
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:11:50:65:9d:75", NAME="eth1"
>
> This is bad, but it seems to be a common problem when upgrading from
> etch.  You need to add
>
> , ATTRS{type}=="1"
>
> to these lines.  Alternatively, rename it the file and reboot, then udev
> will regenerate it (but your wireless card will probably named wlan0).

> That's probably because the rt2500 driver was loaded from initramfs.
> You need to update that as well with update-initramfs(8).  This is also
> necessary if you change the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules,
> since udev files are also copied to the initramfs.

The modifications to 70-persistant-net.rules seem to have done the
trick!  Once I saw that it worked I ran update-initramfs -u and
rebooted.

Syslog now shows 'udev: renamed network interface wlan0 to eth1' for
some reason but the wireless card works whether I boot with it
inserted or plug it in later.  :-)

There are a couple of oddities still, but they don't seem to impact
performance or usability.  The transmission LED works but the
'connected/power' one remains off and, strangely, module rt2500 still
seems to be required as if I boot with the card unplugged it is still
loaded.

Anyway, thanks for the help Sven.  I know Running unstable is expected
to be glitchy but this was a real irritation that I just couldn't
solve.

All the best,

Joe

--
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nath Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't
you understand?