Re: Etch and unstable Belkin wireless problem

On 2009-01-14 19:41 +0100, Joe Dennigan wrote:

> I installed Etch on a HP Pavilion ZE4900 in June 2008, and have since
> 'upgraded' to unstable.  However, from the beginning there has been a
> glitch configuring my wireless card.  It's a Belkin F5D7010 (RaLink
> RT2500).
>
> If I boot, wait for the login prompt and then insert the card all
> works as expected.  However, if I boot with the card inserted the
> transmission led turns on and that's it.  Trying to bring the card
> down then up produces the following error messages:
>
> ifdown eth1:
> eth1: unknown hardware address type 801
> eth1: unknown hardware address type 801
> [...]
> [   16.117934] udev: renamed network interface wmaster0 to eth1

Why is wmaster0 renamed to eth1?  And what about wlan0?

Please show your /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

> Removing and re-inserting the card makes no difference but removing
> the card, manually unloading the modules (rt2500, rt2500pci and
> friends), doing a modprobe rt2500 and only then re-inserting the card,
> works.

It seems you have both the module in the kernel (rt2500pci) and the one
from rt2500-source (rt2500) loaded, this is probably bad.  Can you
blacklist the rt2500 module and see if that helps?

Sven