Re: Question about my Ethernet Cards

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:11:50 -0500
"Boxuan Gu" <boxuan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I am using Debian lenny Linux Operating system.
>
> I am using the source code of linux kernel 2.6.26 (the patch level is
> 12) to build a kernel image
> Now, I am just using the source codes without my modification.
> However, After booting from this image, I find that my Ethernet card
> doesn't work.
> when I use "lspci", I can find that my ethernet card is:
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M
> Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>
> I can't find my wired Ethernet card by using "ifconfig -a" . I don't know why.

Because the driver isn't loaded.

> I have checked my config file for Broadcom BCM5906M and I couldn't
> find the option to add this Ethernet card.

GIYF; you need the tg3 driver:

http://hardware4linux.info/component/28190/
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php#tg3

It's under Device Drivers/Network Device Support/Ethernet (1000
Mbit)/Broadcom Tigon3 Support

> Why the kernel image built by me doesn't support my wired Ethernet card ?

Because you're apparently not building the module.

> The attached please find my config for building kernel. Thank you very much!

Nothing is attached.

Celejar