Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:50:41 -0800 (PST)
Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

From what I remember from vista when I got the computer before I dumped vista,
it got relatively quick to the desktop but was unusable for another 5 minutes
or so (at least) until it finished getting everything up and running (and that
was on the second boot of a new computer with nothing installed just after I
setup a basic user on a 2.5ghz core 2 t9300 laptop with 3gb ram).

There is a package that reshuffles the startup order which should get you a
desktop before everything is started but I don't remember what it is.

You may be able to play with the startup order of things to achieve the same
effect (not sure what X is dependent on for a proper start)