Re: destroying one's account, the easy way?

On Monday 2009 January 12 12:56:56 Florian Mickler wrote:
>Last week my mother (supplied by me with a debian-testing system,
>running kde) did call me with fear in hear voice: "the computer isn't
>working anymore! and all my files are lost! and my emails! and the
>internet has vanished!"
>
>soon i found out, that she had tried to clean up her homefolder
>(organizing her files in folders, as she has learned in some
>computer-course she has taken)

Organizing *her* files in one thing, and good.  Organizing application files
is usually a no-no unless you are fully aware of everything that can break
(and are willing to fix it).

>somehow she has  succeeded in moving her complete homefolder
>(.*-files included) into  subfolders of her homefolder...
>i don't know how that can happen, but apparently there are no
>safeguards in place. (Or at least they are easily clicked away)

I suppose that is by design.  UNIX (and Linux) made it a point to make sure
that files and be moved/renamed/removed when they are in use.  Also, user
have full access to files in their home folder by default, even if the
beginners maybe shouldn't use all that access.  ISTR a young freshman that
completely broke their university email by hand-editing their mailbox.

I can't think of any solution that wouldn't make things more difficult.  My
first instinct was to a-r ~her_user, and have all her files reside under
~her_user/Documents or something.  Unfortunately, this will prevent programs
from creating ~her_user/.application, maybe not *too* much of a burden if
she's already got all of those .*-files.  It wouldn't prevent her from
writing new settings into an existsing .file or creating/updating files
like .directory/some_setting.

You might be able to get the desired behavior by using acls.  (Removing the
ability to rename/delete files in ~her_user, while keeping the ability to
create files in ~her_user would be a start.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))