Re: destroying one's account, the easy way?

Hi Ron!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:05:22 -0600

> On 01/12/09 12:56, Florian Mickler wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > That resulted in landing in a complete new gnome-environment. and as
> > she is a beginner at computers and of age, she couldn't cope
> > with her computer anymore.
> >
> > So, my question, dear reader:
> >
> > Is there a way to shield her from doing smth like that again?
> > What are the kde-safeguards for moving the homefolder (which is easy
> > enough, if you are not so confident with mouse-handling)?
>
> Teach her how to use hot-keys?
>
> > What are the big Do's and Don'ts if you setup a linux desktop for
> > senior beginners?
>
> Sit with her and create subfolders with names that she's happy with
> for downloads, My_Documents, etc, etc.  Then configure Tbird, FF,
> OOo, etc, to save their files there.  There should then be less need
> for "clean up".

Yeah, that would be the ideal situation. But that would make her
(even more) dependent on me. She want's to know it all by herself. And
why shouldn't she?
I'm not living nearby.  So I can't just go to my sixty-year old
mother and tell her: here is a pc. now sit with me for 3 hours, and
after that you are able to do everything with it. There is only so much
a person can absorp on knowledge in a given timespan. Especially if it
comes to such a complete new way of thinking.
(If you sit with a complete computer-beginner, you just begin to
realize how un-intuitive this whole computer-thing is!)

> Also, there should be a way in konq to suppress dot-files.

I think the dot files are supressed in her konq. But moving the _folder_
obviously moves all the files in it around.

Sincerely,
Florian