Lightweight alternative to imagemagick?

I want to resize jpeg images (in order to create thumbnail images for a
webpage) from a bash script and know that I can use 'convert' from the
imagemagick package to achieve this.  This will be run on a (headless,
no X) lenny/armel NSLU2 "slug".

However, aptitude says that to install imagemagick requires 78 new
packages, including x11-common, various gtk and font libraries - which
will be irrelevant on the NSLU2.  Using the without-recommends switch in
aptitude reduces the package count to 63 and choosing the
'graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat' package rather than imagemagick
brings it down to "only" 52 packages.  This still seems quite a lot and
includes lots of font stuff and x11-common when all I want is the
'convert' command.

Does anyone know of a simpler, slimmer alternative for resizing jpegs
from the command line please?

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.