Re: [exim] update-exim4.conf.conf

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:11:25AM -0600, Harry P wrote:
> What does this line refer to
>    dc_other_hostnames='vm25.local.lan'
>
> In /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

This is created by debconf.  Reading its dialog helps.

/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-config.templates contains

Template: exim4/dc_other_hostnames
Type: string
Default:
 Please enter a semicolon-separated list of recipient domains for
 which this machine should consider itself the final destination.
 These domains are commonly called 'local domains'. The local hostname
 (${fqdn}) and 'localhost' are always added to the list given here.
 .
 By default all local domains will be treated identically. If both
 a.example and b.example are local domains, acc@a.example and
 acc@b.example will be delivered to the same final destination. If
 different domain names should be treated differently, it is
 necessary to edit the config files afterwards.

> It contains my hosts name but it calls it other_hostnames.. somewhat
> confusing.
>
> Grepping for some documentation about that line gets no hits.
>
> grep -rl  dc_other_hostname /usr/share/doc/exim* /usr/share/exim*

 $ zgrep   dc_other_hostname /usr/share/doc/exim4/*
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:      * Re-Word dc_other_hostnames debconf template.
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:  * Special-case "dsearch;" constructs in dc_other_hostnames, no
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:  * Fix list separator handling for dc_other_hostnames in ue4c.
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:  * fix wrong dc_other_hostnames statement in manpage. Thanks to
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:      explicitely in dc_other_hostnames, where users can easily remove it
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:      dc_other_hostnames, on fresh installations mailname is the default
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:      value of dc_other_hostnames. We store the fact that we have added
/usr/share/doc/exim4/changelog.Debian.gz:      mailname to dc_other_hostnames in $dc_mailname_in_oh in

This page may help:
 http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#themailsystem

Cheers,

Osamu