Re: Re: AMD Turion ZM82: freeze with 2 cores, works with 1 core (maxcpus=1)

"Adrian Levi" <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
2008/12/15 Patrick Schueller <pschuel@web.de>:

> I have tested this on the following distributions:
> Debian Lenny AMD64 (which I am using now)
> Debian Lenny 32bit (-686 kernel; with -486 kernel, the problem is gone, but
> this only supports 1 kernel as I can see)
> Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) 32 bit
> Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) 32 bit and 64 bit
> Sidux Ourea Live CD

I don't know about kernel optimisations in the other distributions but
have you tried running the latest stable vanilla kernel from
kernel.org? This looks to me like a good reason to get dirty and
compile a kernel.
Sorry for the late answer, I didn't see your reply for some reason :-(

I compiled and installed the stable vanilla 2.6.28 kernel from kernel.org, as you suggested. Since I am not very accustomed with the kernel's compiling options, I used the old kernel's .config file.

The problem stays the same with the new kernel. Normal boot --> freeze, boot with maxcpus=1 --> works, uname-a shows new kernel. Seems to be a general problem with this CPU. Or does anyone happen to have another idea for a solution?

Patrick