Lots of Gnome missing from Sid?

A while ago i asked for advice about upgrading--i wanted more up to date packages on my Lenny laptop. Thanks to some helpful suggests, i concluded that it was safe to go to unstable. I change /etc/apt/sources.list from lenny to sid, and away i went.

Since then things have been ok; sometimes a package i needed broke but it was alwaays back in a day or two.

Usually i use Synaptic, but today i ran apt-get from the commandline and it prompted me to remove unnecessary packages, so i ran this and without paying too much attention realized that it had removed 270MB of stuff, including very large chunks of Gnome as being "unnecessary'. Now my box is sort of unusable.

Is this some very temporary thing, or did i really bite off more than i could chew? How do i get back to a usable system?

Jen