Re: upgrading old-stable

On Tuesday 2009 January 06 12:49:34 Javier Barroso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM, roberto <roberto03@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello,
> > i'd like to ask you the time until it will be possible to upgrade from
> > debian sarge to the actual debian stable (etch)
>
> You will can upgrade always from sarge to etch. Urls will change, but
> repositories from distros are archived and available from internet.

You answer is correct but, I *think* that Roberto may not be a native English
speaker and means:
"I'd like to ask how long it will take to upgrade from Sarge to Etch."

Never having done said task, I couldn't say.  It depends a bit on how long it
takes to download all the packages.  You should aptitude -d dist-upgrade to
get all the packages first, which will make no changes to your running
programs.  After that is complete, then you can follow the normal proceedure,
and it should be quite fast, probably less than an hour, but it depends on
which packages you have installed.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))