Re: upgrading old-stable

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> You answer is correct but, I *think* that Roberto may not be a native English
> speaker and means:
> "I'd like to ask how long it will take to upgrade from Sarge to Etch."
no, i was asking if there is a deadline to upgrade, not the time
necessary to undertake the process, which is not important for me,
also a couple of hours is fine ...

> Never having done said task, I couldn't say.  It depends a bit on how long it
> takes to download all the packages.  You should aptitude -d dist-upgrade to
> get all the packages first, which will make no changes to your running
> programs.  After that is complete, then you can follow the normal proceedure,
> and it should be quite fast, probably less than an hour, but it depends on
> which packages you have installed.

thanks all the same, but the process showed in official debian pages
seems a little longer than a simple command;
anyway, i'll try all the same

thank you again

--
roberto