Re: FQDN vs. domain in /etc/hosts

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Stefan Schmidt <stefan.schmidt@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in my understanding the /etc/hosts file should contain an entry with the
> FQDN of the host.
>
> 123.123.123.123 hostname.domain.tld hostname
>
> I would for simplicity prefer to use a domain name instead of a FQDN.
>
> 123.123.123.123 domain.tld hostname

That will work well enough.   Lots of organisations do this with their
DNS records:...

~$ host -t A  microsoft.com
microsoft.com has address 207.46.197.32
microsoft.com has address 207.46.232.182

... despite the fact that the name is also a domain name ...

~$ host -t SOA  microsoft.com
microsoft.com has SOA record ns1.msft.net. msnhst.microsoft.com.
2009010502 300 600 2419200 3600

... and that's on the public part of the Internet.  You should feel
still less constrained about what happens inside your internal network
(up until the point you need to join it to somebody else's).

James.