Re: ALSA Config

On Sunday 04 January 2009 02:21, Dean Chester wrote:
> I noticed that this error came up on boot:
> alsactl restore error message alsactl: set_control: 1269 : Failed to obtain
> info for control #24(no such file or directory) when it was trying to start
> alsa. So its to do with alsa not being able to restore the previous volumes
> properly.
>
> Nigel here is the information you wanted.
> dean@debian:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
> dean@debian:~$ uname -r
> 2.6.26-1-amd64
> dean@debian:~$ grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0:Codec: SigmaTel STAC9228
> /proc/asound/card0/codec#1:Codec: Conexant ID 2c06

Hi Dean.

Ok. the codecs above are ok. The conexant one is probably for a sound
component on an onboard modem.

Did you try the various model options that are listed below from my previous
post. You may find that one of these provides a needed slider in alsamixer,
and would explain why you have no sounds when booting up at the moment, until
you run alsaconf. Why though running alsaconf should find more than what is
done at bootup, I don't know.

I don't know how new your Dell vostro 1400 is, but Sid is still using the alsa
driver 1.0.16, and the alsa driver is being patched continually to resolve
sound problems with various codecs. It may be worth upgrading the alsa
driver. Link below for the latest.

http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

If your not sure of the packages that need to be installed to upgrade the alsa
driver, and the procedure, post me back.

Looking at the model options for the 1.0.16 alsa driver, there are only 4, and
the first is the default "ref".

STAC9227/9228/9229/927x
   ref  Reference board
   3stack D965 3stack
   5stack D965 5stack + SPDIF
   dell-3stack Dell Dimension E520

For the 1.0.17, and later alsa drivers, there is an additional model option,
this may not make any difference in your case, but you never know.

STAC9227/9228/9229/927x
   ref  Reference board
   3stack D965 3stack
   5stack D965 5stack + SPDIF
   dell-3stack Dell Dimension E520
   dell-bios Fixes with Dell BIOS setup

> BTW that is the problem as all the modules are loaded and unloaded
> successfully. I am unable to boot in to previous kernels as i have removed
> them(d'oh, stupid me).

I admit that I do keep all kernels, unless they just no longer work on an
upgraded version of Debian (2.4.27 still works on Etch, but not on Lenny). I
know it's old, but if it works keep it. Older kernels are always good for
comparison, if you have problems with something or other.

Anyway. You've only got one, so are stuck with it.

Try the various model options for the 1.0.16 alsa driver, and see if you get
additional sliders on alsamixer, that may or may not get some sounds out of
your machine,

If not, I'd go for upgrading the alsa driver to 1.0.18a, and try the various
model options again, including the extra one. As I say above, if you're not
sure of the packages that need to be installed, or the procedure, just ask.

All the best.

Nigel.