Re: does debian have other utilities similar to multicd ??

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 11:45:31PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 03:27:13PM EST, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > On Friday 02 January 2009 06:02 pm, Michael Habashy wrote:
> > > I am looking for a debian/linux utility similar to multicd.
> > > I need a utility to backup big directories to dvd.
> > > The directories are quite big and i need the utility to figure out how to
> > > put files on multiple dvds.
> > > My k3b works great - but i can not feed it a directory of files and ask it
> > > just copy all the files and ask me for a new  dvd when you need it.
> >
> > Look into mondorescue.  I've been using it for....hmmmmm.....10 years(?!!?).
> > Go to
> >
> > http://www.mondorescue.org
> >
> > There are debs for sarge and etch.  (you need both mondo and mindi)
> >
> > Now I have to give dar a look.
>
> I'd be curious of what you think of it and how it compares with mondo.
>
> It so happens that I ran into mondorestore by accident a couple of weeks
> after I had finished implementing my dar-based backups ... so I wasn't
> going to start over .. but I found it interesting and I played with it
> an entire weekend.
>
> One thing that put me off a bit was that I thought my laptop was going
> to catch fire.  I think it went over 80C at one point! It's clearly
> stated in the manual, actually. Whatever is does, it sure seems like
> mondo knows how to make the most of whatever resources it can grab.

If your laptop overheats from that, this is not the only problem you have.

> Another thing is that I felt that mondo/mindi was a much bigger project
> than dar and probably overkill for my little old laptop.
>
> I also didn't feel too comfortable with the ncurses screens.. they're
> probably just fine when you know exactly what you are doing and have a
> pretty clear idea what actually goes on behind the scenes, but it's a
> little scary when you're just getting started. As in, "what the heck am
> I going do if this thing breaks?"

You can use the command-line interface.

> But then, that's just me .. After all, I chose dar because I only had to
> learn one command and about half a dozen options .. and yes, a push in
> the right direction from the nice hands-on tutorial helped since that
> got me started in less than an hour. Otherwise I would probably have
> gone the way of tar, cpio, or dump.

Mondo is useful for system backup. Its prime selling point is that it
can restore a fully functional system (partitions included). I'm not sure
it is that useful for data backup.