Re: does debian have other utilities similar to multicd ??

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 03:27:13PM EST, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2009 06:02 pm, Michael Habashy wrote:
> > I am looking for a debian/linux utility similar to multicd.
> > I need a utility to backup big directories to dvd.
> > The directories are quite big and i need the utility to figure out how to
> > put files on multiple dvds.
> > My k3b works great - but i can not feed it a directory of files and ask it
> > just copy all the files and ask me for a new  dvd when you need it.
>
> Look into mondorescue.  I've been using it for....hmmmmm.....10 years(?!!?).
> Go to
>
> http://www.mondorescue.org
>
> There are debs for sarge and etch.  (you need both mondo and mindi)
>
> Now I have to give dar a look.

I'd be curious of what you think of it and how it compares with mondo.

It so happens that I ran into mondorestore by accident a couple of weeks
after I had finished implementing my dar-based backups ... so I wasn't
going to start over .. but I found it interesting and I played with it
an entire weekend.

One thing that put me off a bit was that I thought my laptop was going
to catch fire.  I think it went over 80C at one point! It's clearly
stated in the manual, actually. Whatever is does, it sure seems like
mondo knows how to make the most of whatever resources it can grab.

Another thing is that I felt that mondo/mindi was a much bigger project
than dar and probably overkill for my little old laptop.

I also didn't feel too comfortable with the ncurses screens.. they're
probably just fine when you know exactly what you are doing and have a
pretty clear idea what actually goes on behind the scenes, but it's a
little scary when you're just getting started. As in, "what the heck am
I going do if this thing breaks?"

But then, that's just me .. After all, I chose dar because I only had to
learn one command and about half a dozen options .. and yes, a push in
the right direction from the nice hands-on tutorial helped since that
got me started in less than an hour. Otherwise I would probably have
gone the way of tar, cpio, or dump.

CJ