Re: cannot open linked directory

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 19:10 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> 2009/1/1, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de>:
> > * Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> 01.01.2009
> >
> > > A ntfs partition mounted on /mnt/win cannot be opened as normal user
> >  > so i decided to soft link it to desktop yet still it cannot be opened
> >  > by normal user eventhough link file mod is 777. Why?
> >  >
> >  > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root     root        9 2009-01-01 15:38 win -> /mnt/win/
> >

> > Hello Umarzuki,
> >
> >  the permissions of the link are uninterestingly because they are always
> >  777. Only the permissions of the the target are interesant. You must
> >  mount the directory and when it is mounted you change the permissions
> >  to the rights you need for your user. Then they are always the same
> >  every time you mount the device.
> >
> >  Hth Michael
> >

> Thanks for that info. In my case, I simply forgot it is ntfs
> partition. So I have to mount it with ntfs-3g instead of mount.
<snip>

If you add something like this to your /etc/fstab file, any user can
then mount the file system using the standard 'mount' command.

  /dev/sde1      /media/ntfs     ntfs-3g rw,user,noauto 0       0

See the man page for 'ntfs-3g' for additional details on how this works,
using file/directory permissions, etc.

--
Bob McGowan