Re: cannot open linked directory

* Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> 01.01.2009
> A ntfs partition mounted on /mnt/win cannot be opened as normal user
> so i decided to soft link it to desktop yet still it cannot be opened
> by normal user eventhough link file mod is 777. Why?
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root     root        9 2009-01-01 15:38 win -> /mnt/win/

Hello Umarzuki,

the permissions of the link are uninterestingly because they are always
777. Only the permissions of the the target are interesant. You must
mount the directory and when it is mounted you change the permissions
to the rights you need for your user. Then they are always the same
every time you mount the device.

Hth Michael

--
I don't use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough.
              M.C. Escher