Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:20:03 +0200
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under charging. If
> it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather quickly. What I have on
> my current thinkpad is the ability to stop charging before 100% and that can
> add quite a bit of like to the battery.

Thanks for the information.  I've been using my laptop for about two
years, for an average of probably several hours of power-on a day.  The
design_charge is 2000000, and the current / now charge is 1792000, so I
suppose it hasn't degraded too badly yet.  This is, I believe, a bottom
of the barrel battery, on a rather low end system, which I guess also
means less power draw, although my understanding is that the Celeron
has crippled power management.  When new, I got a fairly consistent 1.5
hours till shutdown, and I haven't done a drain test recently.

You mention overcharging; as Ismael says in another message in this
thread, the system seems to know when the battery is full and stops
charging; the power LED goes from red to green, and ACPI reports
"full", not "charging".   Does it really keep charging, to the
detriment of the batter?

Celejar