Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
"Ismael Scalcon" <thesupermouse@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> and, so far, we had no problems with it.

I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
into it, sat on it, etc.  The battery life is quite low, only about an
hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC.  [Tangent:
my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
charge / discharge cycles reduce it.  Is this true?]

I've never dealt with Acer support.

This was already a low end machine when I purchased it, but it is quite
usable for my needs:

Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHZ
512MB RAM (recently upgraded to 2GB, not because I needed it, but
because I found a steal on RAM)
60GB HDD
Broadcom wireless (4318, supported perfectly by b43)
15 inch screen, Intel 945GM graphics
Intel 82801G stuff inside

The OP asked about performance, but IIUC, that will depend mostly on
the actual components used, not on the build quality or any special
sauce of the integrator.  I daresay I'm oversimplifying, and I'll
appreciate corrections

Celejar