Re: [OT] Server for Debian + MySQL

Anoop Aryal escribió:
On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 13:18 +0000, kj wrote:
Adrian Chapela wrote:
I am thinking on a new server for my mision critical database server. This server will have Debian OS and MySQL database server. Requisites: 2 CPU (minimun), 32 GB RAM, 2 TB for mysql data files on SAS Hard Disks, 500 GB for mysql binlog + system on SAS Hard Disks, RAID with two channels (1 for data files and 1 for binlog).

I am thinking in HP , one HP Proliant ML370 but it hasn't 300 GB SAS on 2,5".
I can't give you advice on specific hardware, but I'd tell you this:

1. All other things being equal, get the one with the fastest possible disc setup.
2.  Make sure you put 64bit Debian on it.
3.  Make double sure you put 64bit Debian on it ;)

Thank you for the advice, I know the power of 64bit. When I change my 32bit installation with a 64bit installation, I double the performance of my system (I needed to wait for a 64bit debian stable version). I am very happy with 64bit.

I think the same about your recommendation and I have configured a HP Proliant ML370 G5 with two drive cage for 8 SAS drives and two controllers. With this I will have two separate channels, one for the data files and another for the binlog and system (system is doing little writes on a server). The main problem is the size of drives. This server needs 2.5 SAS drives and only from yesterday there are available SAS 300 GB 2.5 drives 10k. I am not sure if it will be enough, I will have 8 drives on the data files array, stripping on 7 disks will be enough ? I think it will be fast but I am not sure if it will be enough.

Just curious, how big of a difference (indeed, what difference) does
64bit make?
You will see the difference when you will have software prepared for 64bit. MySQL has a 32bit version and 64bit version.
We were looking at 64bit for running some of our Java stuff on since the
JVM on 32bit can only address so much memory. 64bit was actually slower,
at least for Java despite the JVM being able to allocate more memory
before being forced to GC.

How does something like MySQL behave on a 64bit vs a 32bit platform?
The problem of 32bits MySQL is 2 GB memory limit. With 64bits you doesn't have this limitation and you could improve your mysql performance. But MySQL is prepared for that. MySQL 32bits and 64bits has the same behaviour for a client. The difference is on performance only.

If you know that JVM is slower in 64 bits, it is a JVM problem not a platform problem ( I think after reading you).

Regards.

--kj

- Anoop