Re: ALSA sound recording frustration SOLVED (to a point)

On Sunday 07 December 2008 17:28, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Monday 01 December 2008 12:39 pm, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Mon,01.Dec.08, 05:19:05, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > > Now I need to compile some kernel modules for VirtualBox so I need the
> > > kernel source.  Of course, it is not listed in synaptic, so now I'm in
> > > the position of rebooting between configurations that use sound and one
> > > where I can use VirtualBox.
> >
> > Huh? What have you been looking for? The source packages are named like
> > linux-source-2.6.18
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> (quick review...no sound with linux 2.6.18 kernel...downloaded musix kernel
> which has ALSA 1.0.16 and sound works...but I use VirtualBox and it needs
> to compile kernel modules to work...but there is no source for the musix
> kernel.
>
> I see that there is an upgrade to the debian kernel 2.6.24.  How do I find
> out what version of ALSA that kernel has?
>
> Assuming that it is the wrong version of ALSA, where can I find detailed
> instructions for downloading and compiling the newer ALSA
> kernel(?)/modules(?) so that I can use sound and VirtualBox at the same
> time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark (the OP)

Hi Mark.

I thought I'd already replied to your ? Anyway, I've now managed to update the
alsa driver on the 2.6.18 kernel, and have gotten sounds with that.

 Caveat. I know absolutely nothing about Virtualbox.

The linux-headers are available for the Musix 2.6.26 kernel. And if you still
have the Musix repo uncommented in /etc/apt/sources.list, you should see them
there.

Back to the Etch 2.6.18-6-686 kernel. You do need a few packages installed to
upgrade the alsa driver, and perhaps all the ones listed below are not
needed, but most are small.

binutils
build-essential
dpkg-dev
g++-4.0         (version may be different on Etch)
gcc-4.0          (same as above)
kernel-package
libc6-dev
libstdc++6-4.0-dev    (version may differ on Etch)
linux-kernel-headers
make

You also need the linux-headers for your running kernel. In my case (with
Etch), synaptic shows the following as below.
linux-headers-2.6.18-6
linux-headers-2.6.18-6-686

I also see that linux-kbuild-2.6.18 is installed, but that may have been
automatically installed as a dep to other packages mentioned above.

Just to take a break. The alsa driver that comes with the 2.6.24 etchnhalf
kernel is 1.0.15. I get no sounds with that, when using the etchnhalf kernel,
but on another install on the same machine, specifically Kubuntu Dapper, I
upgraded the alsa driver from 1.0.10 to 1.0.15, and the sounds work. I am
still having problems updating the alsa driver with the etchnhalf kernel
(2.6.24), with continual complaints from make. Incidentally, I also get the
same "make" complaints, when trying to upgrade the alsa driver on a Kubuntu
Hardy (8.04) install against a 2.6.24 kernel.

Puzzling. I'm not saying you will have problems with sounds using the
etchnhalf 2.6.24 kernel. It could be hardware specific in my case.

Having now finished our break, and installed all the packages above, let's
resume the upgrade of the alsa driver.

First create a new folder in your /home/user directory. I name mine
Alsa-drivers, as I have a bunch of different versions in it. Now download the
latest version of the alsa driver (1.0.18a) using the link below.

http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

Save the tarball to your newly created Alsa-drivers directory. Next, open a
terminal, or Konsole, if using KDE. Now type the commands below as user.

cd Alsa-drivers
tar xjvf alsa-driver-1.0.18a.tar.bz2
cd alsa-driver-1.0.18a
./configure     (which if you have installed the necessary packages, will run
to completion)

make    (having typed make, this also (hopefully) will run to completion, with
no errors).

If make runs to completion with no errors, su to root, and type as below.

make install

Reboot, and run cat /proc/asound/version , which should now show the alsa
driver version as 1.0.18a. More importantly, you may have had some login
sounds, and if not, open alsamixer on the CLI (terminal/Konsole), and check
for muted controls (M key to mute/unmute), or sliders like Master, PCM,
Front, CD, that need pushing up.

To see if your card has been detected on bootup, type:
cat /proc/asound/cards

Sorry if the stuff above is a bit basic, but it may be usefull for newer folks
visiting the archives.

Best wishes on getting your sound working.

Nigel.