Re: ALSA sound recording frustration SOLVED (to a point)

On Monday 01 December 2008 12:39 pm, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,01.Dec.08, 05:19:05, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Now I need to compile some kernel modules for VirtualBox so I need the
> > kernel source.  Of course, it is not listed in synaptic, so now I'm in
> > the position of rebooting between configurations that use sound and one
> > where I can use VirtualBox.
>
> Huh? What have you been looking for? The source packages are named like
> linux-source-2.6.18
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

(quick review...no sound with linux 2.6.18 kernel...downloaded musix kernel
which has ALSA 1.0.16 and sound works...but I use VirtualBox and it needs to
compile kernel modules to work...but there is no source for the musix kernel.

I see that there is an upgrade to the debian kernel 2.6.24.  How do I find out
what version of ALSA that kernel has?

Assuming that it is the wrong version of ALSA, where can I find detailed
instructions for downloading and compiling the newer ALSA
kernel(?)/modules(?) so that I can use sound and VirtualBox at the same time?

Thanks,

Mark (the OP)